General Questions about Turmeric
What is turmeric?
Turmeric (Curcuma longa) is a low-growing rhizome in the same family as ginger (Zingiberaceae) that is often characterized by its bold, golden-yellow color. Turmeric is native to southeastern Asia where it has been highly prized as both a culinary spice and as medicine for thousands of years. Turmeric contains a polyphenol called curcumin that is one of the most studied phyto-nutrients available today.
What health benefits does turmeric provide?
Turmeric and its bioactive compounds, curcuminoids, have been shown in clinical studies to support joint, liver, colon, skin, brain, eye, and metabolic health*.
What is the difference between turmeric and curcumin?
The words turmeric and curcumin are often used interchangeably but they are not the same thing. Turmeric refers to the whole root, or rhizome, of the Curcuma longa plant. Curcumin, on the other hand, is a specific bioactive compound found in turmeric that is considered to be responsible for many of turmeric’s health benefits.
Do turmeric supplements provide any benefits beyond what turmeric in foods provide?
Turmeric powder is predominantly used in Indian cooking because it is a versatile spice that not only adds flavor and color, but also provides a whole host of health benefits. When consumed daily as part of a healthy diet, turmeric powder may provide many of the same benefits as the turmeric extracts found in supplements. However, given that the vast majority of foods in the American diet do not include turmeric, the only option to enjoy the diverse health benefits that turmeric root has to offer is to take turmeric supplements that provide a consistent dose of curcuminoids, which are the bioactive compounds in turmeric root that are responsible for its bright yellow color and health benefits.
What are some factors to consider when choosing a turmeric supplement?
Depending on your reason(s) for supplementing with turmeric and your personal preferences, it may be helpful to consider one or more of the following factors when making a purchasing decision—
- Does the product contain just turmeric whole powder or an extract standardized to provide a consistent and guaranteed amount of curcuminoids in each serving?
- Is the turmeric extract clinically-proven to provide intended benefits?
- Is the recommended dosage supported by science and sufficient to provide intended benefits?
- What is the amount or percentage of curcuminoids per serving of the product?
- Is the product independently verified to meet identity, potency & purity standards?
- What assurance, if any, is available that what’s on the product label is, in fact, in the bottle?
- Is the project Non-GMO Project Verified?
- Does the product contain any chemical additives or preservatives?
Can turmeric supplements be taken with OTC or prescription medications?
If you are taking or planning to take an OTC or prescription medication or planning a medical procedure, please consult a licensed pharmacist or your healthcare provider before beginning supplementation to minimize risk of side effects associated with potential supplement-drug interactions.
Still have questions?
- For general information about turmeric, check out the resources below—
- HerbalGram - Turmeric Profile. 2009; 84:1-3.
- Turmeric — HerbMedPro™ Record
- Curcumin — Linus Pauling Institute
- Curcumin: A Review of Its’ Effects on Human Health
- For specific guidance on the suitability of turmeric to support your particular health goals, please talk to your healthcare provider.
Questions about Turmeric Curcumin Gold
Why is Turmeric Curcumin Gold formulated using Curcumin C3 Complex® turmeric extract?
Given below is a summary of the key reasons why Turmeric Curcumin Gold is formulated using the Curcumin C3 Complex turmeric root extract:
- Curcumin C3 Complex® is the most clinically researched Curcumin extract currently available and has been and continues to be used in the vast majority of clinical studies at various, prestigious research and medical universities here in the US and abroad; absolutely no other Turmeric extract has been studied as extensively by third-party institutions at a pre-clinical and clinical level.
- Curcumin C3 Complex® is standardized to 95% curcuminoids with the 3 curcuminoids (curcumin, demethoxycurcumin, and bis-demethoxycurcumin) in a patented ratio shown in clinical studies to deliver therapeutic benefits.
- Curcumin C3 Complex® has been awarded GRAS ("Generally Recognized as Safe") status by the US FDA after a comprehensive review of safety and toxicology data by an independent panel of scientists with international repute. In fact, Curcumin C3 Complex® is the ONLY curcumin in the market that has been reviewed and acknowledged by the USFDA for its GRAS status.
- Curcumin C3 Complex® is NSF certified to meet potency and specification compliance, which means you can always be sure that you are getting the exact extract that has been and continues to be used in clinical investigations.
- Sabinsa, the company that manufactures the Curcumin C3 ingredient, supported the United States Pharmacopoeia (USP) Convention in preparing the monographs on Curcuminoids and turmeric and in developing their validated analytical methods. Sabinsa also supplied reference standards for the individual Curcuminoids to the USP.
- Curcumin C3 Complex® is an award-winning ingredient that has a documented history of safe and effective use.
More information on the Curcumin C3 ingredient is available for review at: www.curcuminoids.com
What is the best time of day to take Turmeric Curcumin Gold?
Turmeric is less soluble in water and more soluble in fat. In light of this, it is suggested to take the product with food (that includes some fat) to enhance absorption. However, as a matter of principle and in the interest of your health and safety, we encourage you to consult your healthcare provider prior to supplementation to determine what use, if any, is best for your individual needs.
Why does Turmeric Curcumin Gold include black pepper extract (BioPerine®)?
Curcumin has traditionally suffered from poor bioavailability in humans and finding ways to improve its bioavailability and, thereby, its efficacy, is a common point of distinction among different brands of turmeric. Turmeric Curcumin Gold features BioPerine®, a patented extract of black pepper fruit that has been clinically shown to boost the bioavailability of the curcuminoids from turmeric.
More than twenty clinical studies offer support on the benefits of combining curcuminoids with BioPerine® black pepper extract for enhanced bioavailability. BioPerine® is self-affirmed GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe) based on a comprehensive review of safety and toxicology data by an independent panel of scientists with international repute.
Does Turmeric Curcumin Gold contain oxalate?
Oxalate is a naturally occurring compound found in a wide variety of plant-based foods including beans, berries, and leafy greens. While we have not performed any independent assays of the oxalate content in our product, the Curcumin C3® turmeric extract used in our product has been evaluated for oxalate content by Sabinsa, the ingredient manufacturer and results show that the ingredient contains about 0.025% oxalate content. This converts to approximately 0.5 mg of oxalates per 3-capsule serving of our Turmeric Curcumin Gold product. This amount is substantially lower than the 50 mg per day of oxalate intake limit recommended by nutritionists for people susceptible or at high risk for kidney stone formation. As a matter of principle, we ask that you discuss any concerns you may have regarding turmeric and/or oxalate content with your healthcare provider prior to supplementation.
Can I take a higher dosage of Turmeric Curcumin Gold than what is suggested on the label?
Because we are not licensed medical professionals and individual needs can vary, we regret that we cannot recommend a dosage beyond what is suggested on the product label. It may be important to note that the dosing range provided in the suggested use on the label (500 mg to 1500 mg per day) is based on amounts used in clinical investigations featuring the Curcumin C3® ingredient. Please consult your healthcare provider prior to supplementation to determine what dosage, if any, is best for your individual needs.
Is Turmeric Curcumin Gold made with organic turmeric?
The turmeric extract featured in Turmeric Curcumin Gold, Curcumin C3 Complex®, is not certified organic. However, every lot of Turmeric Curcumin Gold is tested by independent laboratories for residual pesticides and residual chemical solvent residues for compliance limits established by the United States Pharmacopoeia.
Is the solvent 1,2-Dichloroethane used to extract the turmeric?
The solvent EDC (1,2-Dichloroethane) is never used in extraction and is not present in the finished product.
How does NutriGold ensure the purity of the ingredients used in its Turmeric Curcumin Gold product?
At NutriGold, our first priority is consumer safety, which is why we verify that raw materials used in our products as well as the finished products themselves meet industry-defining quality and purity standards. Depending on the complexity of the testing involved, including determining what needs to be tested, what methods are fit-for-purpose, and which lab is most qualified to perform the testing, we sometimes have results from as many as 4 or 5 different independent, ISO-certified labs for each product. We take these results from third-party labs and summarize them in lot-specific Certificates of Analysis that are freely available in the spirit of authentic transparency on the product pages on our website so consumers can make informed purchasing decisions.
What assurance can you provide that the amount of turmeric (Curcumin C3) listed on the label is actually in the product?
All of our products are verified by independent third-party labs to meet identity, purity, and potency label claims. We take these results from third-party labs and summarize them in lot-specific Certificates of Analysis (C of A) that are freely available in the spirit of authentic transparency on the product pages on our website so consumers can make informed purchasing decisions. The C of A provides assurance that the claims made on the label accurately reflect the contents of the product inside the bottle. If interested, more information on our our commitment to independent, third party quality testing can be found at this link - https://nutrigold.com/pages/accountability
Why does Turmeric Curcumin Gold contain rice concentrate?
At NutriGold, we are philosophically opposed to the use of chemical additives and synthetic preservatives in our products, which is why we avoid magnesium stearate, silicon dioxide, and other commonly-used additives derived from GM ingredients like corn starch, corn maltodextrin, and soy lecithin. The rice concentrate is a plant-derived alternative to chemical additives and is and added to the product to ensure finished product quality and integrity.
Can I break apart the capsule and add the contents to liquid/food to consume?
All of our products are formulated to be taken as capsules and our purity and potency claims are based on the product being taken as recommended. We generally do not recommend breaking apart the capsules because it can introduce contaminants or otherwise compromise product potency and effectiveness.
Is Turmeric Curcumin Gold suitable for children (under 18 years of age)?
Turmeric Curcumin Gold is formulated for individuals over 18 years. Because children are considered a vulnerable population, we regret we cannot make any recommendations regarding the use of our products by or for children under the age of 18. We ask that you talk to your pediatrician or family practitioner about whether or not Turmeric Curcumin Gold is suitable and safe for your child’s particular healthcare needs prior to supplementation.