General Questions about Black Garlic
What is Black Garlic?
The medicinal use of garlic dates back to the beginning of recorded history. Garlic is referenced in biblical texts and ancient medical texts from Egypt, Greece, Rome, China and India. Black garlic is created by aging regular garlic (Allium sativum L.) under mild heat which results in a natural enzymatic fermentation process. Fermented black garlic is known for having a higher antioxidant (ORAC) value than regular garlic and for this reason, may offer enhanced immune-supportive activity and other unique health benefits.
What benefits does black garlic provide?
The fermentation of garlic into black garlic creates S-allyl cysteine (SAC), a powerful antioxidant. Black garlic, and the SAC that it contains, has more than double the antioxidant activity of regular garlic and may offer enhanced immune support. Overall, black garlic supports antioxidant defense, detoxification as well as heart, brain, immune, and digestive health*.
What are some factors to consider when choosing a black garlic supplement?
Depending on your reason(s) for supplementing with ashwagandha and your personal preferences, it may be helpful to consider one or more of the following factors when making a purchasing decision—
- Does the product contain just black garlic powder, an extract, or a full-spectrum extract?
- Does the product provide a consistent and guaranteed amount of S-allyl-cysteine in each serving?
- What is the amount or percentage of S-allyl-cysteine per serving of the product?
- Is the product independently verified to meet identity, potency & purity standards?
- What assurance, if any, is available that what’s on the product label is, in fact, in the bottle?
- Is the project Non-GMO Project Verified?
- Does the product contain any chemical additives or preservatives?
Can I take black garlic if I have an intolerance to regular garlic?
While black garlic is generally well-tolerated, in the interest of your health and safety, we encourage you to discuss any concerns you may have regarding the suitability of black garlic for your particular needs with your healthcare provider before beginning supplementation.
Can black garlic supplements be taken with OTC or prescription medications?
If you are taking or planning to take an OTC or prescription medication or planning a medical procedure, please consult a licensed pharmacist or your healthcare provider before beginning supplementation to minimize risk of side effects associated with potential supplement-drug interactions.
Still have questions?
- For general information about garlic, check out the resources below—
- Garlic: a review of potential therapeutic effects
- Garlic — NIH National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health
- Potential Health Benefit of Garlic Based on Human Intervention Studies: A Brief Overview
- Garlic and Organosulfur Compounds — Linus Pauling Institute
- For specific guidance on the suitability of black garlic to support your particular health goals, please talk to your healthcare provider.
Questions about Black Garlic Gold
How does Black Garlic Gold compare with other garlic supplements?
Many of garlic’s health benefits are attributed to its sulfur-containing compounds like allicin and S-allyl cysteine (SAC). Research has demonstrated, however, that the compound allicin is highly unstable and can degrade rather quickly. Allicin may also suffer from poor bioavailability in the human body. The fermentation of garlic into black garlic increases levels of the more stable nutrient S-allyl cysteine (SAC), a powerful antioxidant. In fact, the fermentation of garlic double’s garlic's ORAC (antioxidant) potential and may improve garlic's immune supportive activity. Black Garlic Gold provides organic fermented garlic in a natural, whole-food matrix and is guaranteed to contain .15% SAC.
How does Black Garlic Gold compare with aged garlic extracts?
Supplements with aged garlic extract:
- The garlic is harvested, cleaned, sliced and stored in stainless steel tanks under carefully controlled conditions without the use of a heating process.
- The garlic is stored in the stainless steel tanks for up to 20 months in an aqueous ethanol solution, which helps to extract and age the garlic compounds.
- May include S-allyl-cysteine (SAC), but generally no SAC content is claimed on the label.
- The finished product may contain chemical additives or preservatives.
Black Garlic Gold
- Made using fermented whole-food black garlic—natural phytonutrient profile is retained.
- Natural matrix ensures greater stability of marker compounds, including S-allyl cysteine.
- The whole-food concentrate is produced by aging regular garlic using mild heat, which activates the natural enzymatic fermentation process.
- No chemical solvents used in the aging or fermentation process of the black garlic concentrate.
- Guaranteed S-Allyl cysteine content.
- Manufactured without chemical additives or preservatives.
Does Black Garlic Gold contain allicin?
The allicin commonly found in most garlic supplements is highly unstable and can degrade rather quickly, which means most garlic supplements may not be reliable sources of allicin. Black Garlic Gold provides S-allyl cysteine (SAC), a powerful and more stable antioxidant primarily found only in black or aged garlic.
Does Black Garlic Gold have a strong smell or aftertaste?
While not odorless, black garlic typically does not have the same repeat effect that pungent, raw garlic can sometimes have. Black garlic is unique in that it has been bio-transformed through the process of fermentation, which not only improves garlic's immune-supporting activity but also shifts the flavor profile from pungent and spicy to a more sweet and savory flavor. Black garlic tends to be well-tolerated and gentle on the digestive system.
What is the best time of day to take Black Garlic Gold?
Black Garlic Gold can generally be taken anytime. However, for those with a sensitive GI tract, Black Garlic Gold is often best taken with food. As a matter of principle and in the interest of your health and safety, we encourage you to consult your healthcare provider prior to supplementation to determine what use, if any, is best for your individual needs.
Can I take more than what is suggested on the label?
Because we are not licensed medical professionals and individual needs can vary, we regret that we cannot recommend a dosage beyond what is suggested on the product label. Please consult your healthcare provider prior to supplementation to determine what dosage, if any, is best for your individual needs.
How does NutriGold ensure the purity of the ingredients used in its Black Garlic Gold product?
At NutriGold, our first priority is consumer safety, which is why we verify that raw materials used in our products as well as the finished products themselves meet industry-defining quality and purity standards. Depending on the complexity of the testing involved, including determining what needs to be tested, what methods are fit-for-purpose, and which lab is most qualified to perform the testing, we sometimes have results from as many as 4 or 5 different independent, ISO-accredited labs for each product. We take these results from third-party labs and summarize them in lot-specific Certificates of Analysis that are freely available in the spirit of authentic transparency on the product pages on our website so consumers can make informed purchasing decisions.
What assurance can you provide that the amount of S-allyl-cysteine listed on the label is actually in the product?
All of our products are verified by independent third-party labs to meet identity, purity, and potency label claims. We take these results from third-party labs and summarize them in lot-specific Certificates of Analysis (C of A) that are freely available in the spirit of authentic transparency on the product pages on our website so consumers can make informed purchasing decisions. The C of A provides assurance that the claims made on the label accurately reflect the contents of the product inside the bottle. If interested, more information on our our commitment to independent, third party quality testing can be found at this link - https://nutrigold.com/pages/accountability
Can I break apart the capsule and add the contents to liquid/food to consume?
All of our products are formulated to be taken as capsules and our purity and potency claims are based on the product being taken as recommended. We generally do not recommend breaking apart the capsules because it can introduce contaminants or otherwise compromise product potency and effectiveness.
Is Black Garlic Gold suitable for children (under 18 years of age)?
Black Garlic Gold is formulated for individuals over 18 years. Because children are considered a vulnerable population, we regret we cannot make any recommendations regarding the use of our products by or for children under the age of 18. We ask that you talk to your pediatrician or family practitioner about whether or not Black Garlic Gold is suitable and safe for your child’s particular healthcare needs prior to supplementation.